A patient-centred approach to obstetrics
Dr Ross Turner ensures that his patients are held at the centre of everything he does. He is a consummate professional when it comes to helping women work through pregnancy, delivery and postnatal care. For many obstetrics-related situations, Dr Ross Turner makes every effort to include both partners in the process. This is particularly true when you work with Dr Turner for the length of a pregnancy – he’ll help put both partners at ease and explain what the upcoming months will look like.
Dr Turner believes in highly personalised care for his patients, and you’ll quickly discover that his approach will shift based on your unique needs. There are always many unknown factors in obstetrics and Dr Turner views it as his responsibility to get you the information you need while enjoying high-quality medical care.
How do you choose an obstetrician?
Choosing an obstetrician can be difficult. Very good obstetricians obtain much of their work by word of mouth. Committing to a doctor-patient relationship during such an important part of life is a big decision. It’s a deeply personal relationship and it’s important to make the right choice. Here are a few of our tips for choosing an OB/GYN:
- Ask around. Ask for the opinions of friends and family who have worked with an obstetrician near you.
- Have a clear idea of the kind of relationship you’d have. Many obstetricians will work in groups with patients. However, Dr Turner commits to working directly with expecting mothers throughout the term of their pregnancy.
- Have a consultation to see if the obstetrician feels right for you.
- Get a clear understanding of costs. You don’t want to be surprised with additional fees during a time when you’ve already got plenty to think about. Make sure you know what your expenses are going to be upfront. This may involve speaking with your private health insurance. Dr Turner’s practice ensures you are fully informed about costs and fees.
Fertility care you can trust.
Dr Turner is experienced in treating same sex couples and single women. Through Monash IVF, he has access to a comprehensive range of sperm and egg donors.
Read Obstetrics Articles
Frequently Asked Questions
Obstetricians are doctors that specialise in pregnancy and associated fields, like childbirth and reproductive health. You may have seen obstetricians referred to as an OB/GYN doctor, which stands for obstetrics and gynaecology. Obstetricians are qualified doctors who have undertaken further study in obstetrics and gynaecology.
Many OBGYNs work out of hospitals. Others will work out of their own practice. Dr Turner is the director of Monash IVF Auchenflower, and can guarantee the best service available through his network of support and the IVF Unit at the Wesley Hospital.
Many of Dr Turner’s patients arrive via a referral from a wide network of GPs who recognise the good experience that patients have with him. However, you are welcome to reach out directly to request a consult however if you don’t have a referral, there is no Medicare rebate for the visit. Some services require a referral. Visit our contact page to get in touch.
Obstetrics is a broad field and covers many different medical requirements. When you first meet with Dr Turner, he will seek to get a holistic view of your lifestyle, your current situation and your preferences for medical care. Dr Turner understands that every patient has very different requirements, so no two appointments will ever be the same. However, you can rest assured that your needs will be well catered to.
During pregnancy, an obstetrician will guide you through what to expect, provide relevant information and conduct scheduled appointments. Depending on the nature of your pregnancy, you may need more than the standard number of appointments with Dr Turner. That’s perfectly fine, and happens regularly. During pregnancy, a few things may happen at an antenatal checkup:
– A checkup on the baby’s growth rate.
– A checkup on the baby’s position.
– Routine tests and checks especially of blood pressure.
– Ensure you are informed and prepared for coming days and months.